Page 3 of 5
Characteristics of the Route
The basic ideas about what will be added to the project are as follows:
- The route will go round the entire perimeter of Andalusía, crossing each of its provinces.
- This wont be designed as a 'tourist' route to visit the capitals of the provinces, but rather a 'rural' route. At the same time, we don't exclude the posibility that in the future we may design detours to visit the cities. We are looking for places with great natural beauty, regardless of where they occur.
- This will be a mountain biking route, avoiding riding on the road whereever possible. When it's not possible to go off-road, the roads selected will be those with a minimum of traffic.
- It is necessary to keep in mind that this route is designed to be riden with pannier bags or a (Bob). Like all cyclists we like the impossible tracks, both on the way down and on the way up, but it is not necessary to make this route, which because of its length is already hard, any more difficult. Between two possible routes of equal beauty, we will select the one which is easiest to ride.
- As far as possible, in order to simplify the work, we will take advantage of already defined and signposted tracks: The 'Gran Recorrido', cattle tracks, 'Rutas del Legado Andalusí, etc.
It must be emphasised tht the TransAndalus does not have an initial stage. The route is broken up into sections, with our intention being that the route should travel between two villages with at least minimal facilities for overnight accommodation. Thus every traveller can make the trip at their own pace, choosing where to begin and end, and selecting the length of each section made up of various stages.
The basic information about the complete sections are set out in the Road-Book, which consists of:
- Technical information: length, height variation, type of road surface (dirt, sand, etc.)
- Information about accommodation and services available at each village.
- Comments on the trip: natural environment (mountains, countryside, beach, etc.) and the roads chosen.
- Map of the route.
- Road-book with the the detailed description of the tour, with indication of the difficult points for navigation and the kilometer markers that you will find.
- Tracks or waypoints for GPS (recommended).